Tuesday, August 25, 2015

navigating our way back


Parenting is hard work.  I am exhausted.  My children are 20.  I would have thought I would be less tired by now.  The good news is I do believe we are almost out of the tunnel.  At least I am cautiously optimistic.

Not to sound overly dramatic but, I feel I have been wading through the thick muck and mire for so long that I have forgotten some basic precepts on how to communicate when there is no crisis.  Or no impending crisis or post crisis.  Our worry was our common denominator of late - so now that we are less worried and we have the time and the freedom to focus on other things - we find the gap very wide.  

Simone Weil says,  "Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity."   I have been feeling slightly convicted by that quote since I read it yesterday morning.  It comes on the heels of a long and uneasy conversation.on Paying attention to the other is paramount.   No distractions.  Make the effort.  Do the work.





1 comment: